April 9, 2009

Senseless...

I am totally angry and saddened right now. 32 Chicago Public Schools have gotten shot since September. This is really scary and senseless. To be honest, I'm angry. Why are these kids allowed to be on the streets? Why aren't the streets safe in the first place? Why is it that anyone can get a gun? Many of these kids are getting shot by adults not their peers. What threat is a 14 to 17 year old to you? And some of these kids are younger than that. I teach CPS students at a Saturday enrichment program and I've been told many stories about what they have to go through on a daily basis and the incidents they have witnessed. This one girl told me that she was an eyewitness to a shooting that took place right in front of her school. I can never imagine going to school and being afraid. Even the CTA buses aren't safe. An innocent girl was shot and killed, riding on the bus, minding her own damn business. What is going on? There has to be an answer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment